Friday, 9 November 2012

Oh Me? I'm a Deltiologist

I've never been a collector. I've not had the desire to accumulate a whole bunch of anything. I did have lots of Barbie's when I was little, but that doesn't count, because I trashed those poor girls. You can't brush their hair and countlessly marry them off to your one Ken doll if they are still in their boxes, obviously.

The other day I pulled a postcard off my wall which I'd blu-tacked up there a while back and turned it over, it read:

'Deltiology is the study and collection of postcards.'

Interesting. I'd pulled this postcard off a wall which was surrounded by countless other postcards, I also had a gold shoe box stashed away which was full of postcards from my travels. I had been collecting postcards from each location I had visited and writing about my time on the back. I thought I was being very clever. An A6 summary of my time in Siena, Ios, Naxos, Granada etc. Genius! If my mother's memory is anything to go by, I won't even remember I went to those places in 20 years, let alone what I actual saw, ate, did there. 

'Worldwide, [deltiology] is thought to be the largest hobby after stamp collecting and money collecting.'

Ok, so I'm not very unique, but the good news is next time I get asked that age old dinner party question "And what do you do?", I have a fairly unique answer.

A few of my overseas acquisitions. 

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I have a collection quite like this!! We should compare :P

    ReplyDelete