Sunday, 21 October 2012

Textiles by Marimekko

And from Norway over to Finland...

Marimekko is a Finnish textile and clothing design label I discovered in Berlin's Mitte last November.  In the same way I was drawn into David David, Marimekko beckoned me in with promises of sunshine, joy and happiness screen printed onto cotton. Founded over 60 years ago in a post-WW2 climate, Marimekko captured everyone's attention then, and still now, for their bright, fantastic, original textile prints. It has grown from a mere brand to an outlook on life, covering everything (literally) from clothing to interior design to flat textiles, all in that signature style.

I was very excited to read yesterday that Sydney will welcome 300sqm of Finnish love, the first Australian Marrimeko store, at 66 King St on November 1st. Get ready to wrap yourself in the below and like.





It makes you wonder... if the Finnish, some of whom have to bear winters lasting 7 months, are so into this, why do Sydneysiders wear so much black?

Marrimeko's latest news & catalogue here.

No comments:

Post a Comment